I started by trying to figure out how I wanted this to work. It isn't as simple as one might think. When I had a basic idea, I went and got a couple hinges. I played around with and bent one hinge to shape, but discovered a better solution, so scrapped that one and started with a new one. When it was properly bent into shape, I went about mounting it. There wasn't enough room to use a drill, so I spun a drill bit with my fingers and managed to make holes in the plastic of the dash.
My stubby screwdriver wasn't quite stubby enough.
With the hinge screwed to the dash, I slipped the other end into my custom bracket. The metal piece is actually part of the original airbag assembly, as are the sweet acorn nuts. I went with this mounting strategy because it was simple and adjustable, giving me some leeway if I didn't get things lined up perfectly at first.
This actually is a glove box.
Here's what it looks like when it's closed. Pretty good, if I do say so myself.
Should have painted the hinge black before installing. Now it's going to bother me forever, because there's no way I'm pulling that thing out again.