It all started when Chrissy noticed the ceiling in the guest bath was bubbling a little. We assumed it was due to our wonderful guests neglecting to use the vent fan when showering, thus not a big deal and nothing to be done.
A couple days later I went into the garage and discovered a puddle. There was obviously a bigger problem somewhere.
It had to be in the attic, so I crawled in. At first I didn't see anything, but I moved some insulation and found a puddle.
I couldn't find the source of the leak, but I eventually heard it. I finally moved one more piece of insulation and found a pinhole leak in the copper pipe, letting out a steady mist. I don't know how that happens, but apparently it does. If you look really hard, you can see the stream in the pictures below.
Now I had to figure out how to fix it, ideally without calling a plumber or burning myself with solder. I remembered seeing a repair after a pipe burst at Greenfield Professional Building that involved a big metal clamp, so I was off to Home Depot.
Despite the employee not knowing what he was talking about I found the clamp I needed and headed home.
The installation was easy, aside from the bolts being too long to allow me to use a ratchet.
The final step was to somehow dry the mess and hopefully prevent horrible, horrible mold, which seems to have already started forming (gulp). I figured airflow was key, so I grabbed our fan.
So far, the fan seems very effective, as does the clamp. Hopefully it holds for a long time.
I'm a bit unsure what to do about the water damage. I'm thinking we should let it dry and go from there.