The slides on our drawers were pretty much the worst thing in the world, so it was inevitable that this would happen. I've wanted to replace all the slides for some time, but have never gotten around to researching what is available these days and following through. Now I had to do something, and it involved being in this position for extended periods:
|You won't find this position in an Ergonomics Handbook, for good reason.|
Now that I had replacement slides, I was ready to get to work. The first step was uninstalling the old hardware.
Next I installed the rear brackets for the new slides. This wasn't easy because they have to be positioned so the slide will be level and it is incredibly awkward to reach them, but I got them eventually.
Then the cabinet half of the slides were installed.
Before installing the drawer half of the slide, I had to do some repair to the drawers. Our old slides rest all the weight of the drawer on the sides, which run along wheels when they are opened and closed. After years of use, the particle board was starting to disintegrate.
I applied a generous helping of wood glue and things were much more solid afterward. I would probably have done a more extensive repair, but the new slides carry the weight in the center, so the sides won't have nearly as much wear on them anymore.
The slides didn't quite fit our drawers, so I had to customize them with an additional hole.
The geometry of the drawer wasn't right, so the edges hit the cabinet. I had to do something.
The solution was to cut shims to go under the slides.
If all goes as planned, I should never have to mess with these drawers again.
Post a Comment